Tuesday, January 15, 2013

My insomnia was worse than usual last night so I only got about an hour of sleep. I was skeptical that my participation would be up to par. It is surprising sometimes that we have the ability to draw energy and enthusiasm from within our depths when we have to.

When Jeremy R. (shout-out) and I arrived to class Sherry was looking radiant as always. It was nice to see that we had a diverse array of activities planed for the day. We were previously asked to fill out some information to generate our personal TPI, which we discussed in class today. I wasn't very surprised by my own results, however it was interesting that almost everyone in the class had similar perspectives despite disciplinary discrepancies.

The most memorable part of todays class was the carousel activity associated with Dr. Clouser's tech talk about blogs. I have never heard of this engagement technique and will definitely be incorporating it into my classes in the future. One of the more difficult aspects of the course is what to name our team. We need a big time name since we have big time ideas. 

Also...I can't believe the future faculty program participants were split up! YOU DOWN WITH FFP? YEAH YOU KNOW ME!

Symbolic picture of the week:
(Essential Biochemistry Pratt C., et al 2007)

Much as H2O (water) separates the amino acids of a protein, so to has Dr. Clouser separated the FFP.


5 comments:

  1. Great post! I was a little surprised by the results of the TPI. I would have expected transmission to score higher. It is very trendy to turn one's nose up at it, but we all engage in transmission - to some degree.

    Can't nooooooobody break up FFP! Covalently bonded!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are totally getting an A in my class! Oh wait, it's S/U.

    Glad to hear that you enjoyed the carousel activity - it's one of my favorites to stimulate engagement. And the only technology needed is pen and paper!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whoops- spellcheck first!

      Wow, Matt, from reading your blog, I can tell I missed a fun class on Tuesday. I was disappointed to miss the discussion of the TPI, & you'll have to fill me in on what a carousel activity is. Although we can't fill the hole left by the breakup of the FFP, hopefully the sheer awesomeness of our group (which I haven't experienced yet but have no doubt it exists) will serve as some consolation.

      Delete
  4. Yes, I also felt that carousel activity was interesting and a fun activity. I will also be using that activity in my class one day. We are glad you are in our team. Thanks to Sherry for adding a future faculty program participant to our group. I do not have a creative name for our team so far..Will brain storm tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete